Configure Magento 2 for Elasticsearch
After enabling Elasticsearch, you need to enable it in your store to begin serving search results.
- Log into your Magento 2 admin or backend
- Open Stores->Configuration from the sidebar
- Expand the Catalog section, then click Catalog.
Next to the Search Engine field, uncheck the “use system value” box if checked.
- Set the search engine to Elasticsearch 5.0+
- Set the Elasticsearch Server Hostname to elasticsearch
- Leave all other settings default
- Test the connection, it should be successful
Either via your Magento backend or SSH/CLI shell, reindex your catalogsearch_fulltext index. Search data will populate indexes within Elasticsearch. You must do this or the frontend of your store will break. Category pages in Magento 2 rely on the catalog search. if no search is available your categories cannot be displayed.