1. Home
  2. FAQ
  3. Do services like CloudFlare, Sucuri, Fastly, and Section.io, work with your hosting?

Do services like CloudFlare, Sucuri, Fastly, and Section.io, work with your hosting?

Using a proxy service like CloudFlare, Sucuri, Fastly, and Section.io, in front of our hosting voids your support warranty.  We cannot provide the high level of support our customers expect when proxying through these services.

When using other proxy services you introduce routing complexities.  A request to your store will first route through your proxy provider’s edge location.  Then to the CloudFront edge location.  Then to the AWS home region.  Since we no longer control the full request flow we lose a significant amount of visibility and diagnostic ability into your store.  In our experiences these services often have issues of their own, either routing/request failures, or customer misconfigurations.  Adding the additional proxy also increases latency on every request to your store.

With Mojo Stratus you likely no longer need these services.  Mojo Stratus proxies all requests through CloudFront. CloudFront provides not only a CDN but also WAF and DDOS.  Mojo Stratus includes Varnish.  Varnish is fully integrated into the request flow and works with both Magento 1 and Magento 2.  We are also co-founders of the Mage Security Council.  Part of our responsibilities on the council include maintaining and continuously updating a set of a malware/virus definitions.  We run the scanner which auto updates from this central ruleset and provides both frontend and backend server side malware/virus scanning.

Customers occasionally ask us what about Varnish at the edge? We’re not fans of this. CloudFront CDN is already delivering the heavy static assets for your store.  What is left is the html page request. Internet routing at it’s furthest distance (literally halfway around the world) is 250ms round trip.  Varnish at the edge is delivering the tiny compressed html page. You might save maybe 250ms on your initial page load for the % of customers that are literally half way around the world.  In exchange for this small savings you add additional latency for everyone, you introduce additional points of failures, you have another service you need to learn and support, and you pay extra monthly fees.

In summary, we want to provide the highest level of service for our customers.  We’re unable to meet our customer’s expectations when using these proxy services.  We offer 99% of the features they provide.  The remaining 1% we do not see the value in for the majority of our customers.
Updated on June 8, 2018

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles