If you have just installed Magento 2, the default settings are not intended for production use. A fresh Magento 2 install will have the following settings that affect performance –
- Default mode (see Magento 2 modes)
- Built-in FPC
- Static files not deployed (see Deploying static files)
The most common mistake with going live or into production with Magento 2 is not enabling Varnish for the FPC and deploying production mode. Production mode enables compilation in Magento 2 and adds a significant performance boost (faster page loads).
Varnish should also be enabled for the built-in FPC. While static files are required for your theme and other updates.
Merged css should not be enabled and will degrade performance. This is a current bug in Magento 2 awaiting resolution.
Optimal Settings in Magento 2
At a minimum, make sure all these settings are set as follows for performance.
- Mode is set to Production
- FPC is enabled using Varnish
- PHP 7 enabled for your vhost
- Flat products and categories enabled
- All caches enabled